Friday, January 18, 2008

In the beginning -

In 1998 my 16 year old son returned from a paddling trip and said, "Mom, you need to make me something so I won't get arrested." My ears perked up. He described a kind of 'personal cabanna' where he could remove wet gear and put on dry clothes without exposing bare flesh to onlookers or the elements. I went to the sewing studio and after a couple of prototypes came up with the raglan sleeve design. Square shouldered and set in sleeve designs placed the weight of the garment on the shoulders making it feel heavy. When I cut the raglan sleeves the weight disappeared and the result was a lightweight, comfortable, roomy changing garment.

That first raglan sleeve River Rag is still going strong after 10 years!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Hi Becky, your site looks great!

dave c said...

my river rag is four years old, warm, roomy, lendable, storable, model T Ford "manly" design, and i use it 9 months a year. it's the best paddling investment, along with my boats, i've ever made. and it's the ONLY thing about my paddling that draws raves from my co-trippers!